Re: How do I parenthesize a rest (or a dotted note)?

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: Re: How do I parenthesize a rest (or a dotted note)?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:32:42 +0200

On 11/02/2008, Dominic Neumann wrote:
> I could´t find a way to create a bracket around a rest. According to
> the way we parenthesize notes I tried it that way:

I've been wondering about this too. I guess you could attach a \markup
{"(  )"} to that rest and then position it around the rest with
offsets. It would be nice to have a more elegant solution, though.

May I borrow your topic to raise another question? Thanks. :-)

Does anyone know if there is a way to add parentheses around a note
with augmentation dot like this (o.)?

The standard \parenthesize command only parenthesizes the note head.
If the note has an augmentation dot the dot is left outside. I don't
know what is the right way to add the parentheses but to me it would
seem that if they are used for depicting that a note is optional the
dot would be "optional", too.

-Risto