Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches vastly improved, more comments sought

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.1 Pitches vastly improved, more comments sought
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:24:22 +0100

Graham Percival wrote:
Some sections have been completely rewritten (particularly Octave
check).  Please read the new Pitches section and send comments.
- The text in "Octave corrections and checks" is contradictory. First it says that "an octave check does not change the pitch", then it says in the description of octave
 checks that "If this is not the case, ... and the octave is corrected".
As far as I can see, the true difference between the two commands is that the octave correction is specified as a attribute to the note itself in the input, whereas the octave check is a separate "command" to be inserted between notes in the input. Both have the same effect of correcting the octave (not the pitch, right?) if it's wrong.

- In "Transpose", I wonder if the second example is correct or if it should have an es major key signature (in the printed output, i.e. a \key c \major in the
 input file), according to normal notation conventions. Since I don't
play any transposing instrument myself, I'm not sure which one is correct. Technically, this second example illustrates a "feature", namely that if you don't explicitly specify a key signature, then the transposed music won't have any key signature either, in contrast to what happens if you explicitly specify a
 key signature.

- The transposing-pitches-with-minimum-accidentals-smart-transpose.ly LSR example, included in "Transpose" didn't work, since the internal representation for alterations has changed between 2.10 and 2.11. I have just tried to submit a 2.11 version to LSR, but since it doesn't compile in 2.10, I'm not sure it
 was accepted in the LSR database. I'll send it by email otherwise.

- Instrument transpositions, first sentence: I'm not sure it's the "key" of the transposing instrument that should be specified, but I don't know the proper terminology.

- I have submitted an even more simplified version of the LSR example
Ambiti multiple voices to LSR. The setting of X-offset didn't influence the
 result at all, as far as I could see.

  /Mats
  /Mats