Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:58:28 -0600

On Jan 14, 2008 5:48 AM, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:
2008/1/14, Jamie Bullock <address@hidden>:

> OK. Please just bear in mind that at some point in the future I would be
> interested in (co)sponsoring this feature in some shape or form.

Can I add it to the Google tracker as a Feature Request, priority
PostPoned, with a link to this discussion and maybe a "Bounty" label?

If this particular feature does list under such a bounty section, I'll be happy to put my name in the "willing to sponsor" column. I've been looking for such a feature for quite some time now, especially being able to stop arbitrary spanners / hairpins just *before* a barline; my application is to show special types of bowing (in the strings) or breath (in the winds) filling out the complete duration of a note (rather than continuing on to the *next* note, which is, of course, the current behavior of all spanners).

Along those lines, I'd like to point something out: it's possible that what we're really looking for here isn't the ability to attach to *barlines* but intead to cover the *full duration* of the last note which a spanner / hairpin governs. There is, in fact, exactly one system object that can be made to behave this way at present:

   \version "2.11.34"

   \new Staff {
      \set tupletFullLength = ##t
      \times 2/3 { c'4 c'4 c'4 }
      \times 2/3 { c'4 c'4 c'4 }
   }

Notice where the right end of the tuplet brackets end in the example, above -- at the "end" of the musical duration of the last note of the tuplet ... which winds up equalling a space just *before* the barline in the second of the tuplets. I think that this particular "spot" would be very useful to have access to for positioning (and aligning) the right ends hairpins, spanners, text spanners, pedal marks, trill spanners, etc.

(Fermata marks are, of course, a different matter: they need to position directly over or under the barline and not just before the barline ... which, as Mats points out, is possible with text marks.)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden