Re: a Lilypond-LaTeX font question

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: a Lilypond-LaTeX font question
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:08:06 +0100

Am 14.01.2008 um 14:07 schrieb Mats Bengtsson:

The main issue here is that LilyPond wants UTF-8 encoded input whereas
standard LaTeX doesn't understand UTF-8. I know that there are packages to
LaTeX, or maybe separate versions of the latex command that can handle
UTF-8, but I don't know any details about these.

One alternative, to handle this incompatibility with standard LaTeX is to use \lilypondfile{...} and write the LilyPond code in separate files that are saved in UTF-8 encoding, whereas the main LaTeX file is kept in Latin1 encoding or
whatever you normally use for your LaTeX files.

  /Mats

James E. Bailey wrote:
I'm new to LaTeX, but not lilypond. I'm using TeXShop, and I'm getting some not really desired output.

\begin{document}
    \begin{lilypond}

    \version "2.11.36"
    \include "deutsch.ly"
\header { title = "Beauty—be not caused—It Is—" instrument = "Querflöte" }

    {c'2 fis'4 h'8 a'}

\end{lilypond}

\end{document}

I don't get the umlauts and I don't get the characters after my em dashes. I'm assuming that LaTeX doesn't like getting em dashes input, but how do I get lilypond to process the em dash inside of LaTeX? Same thing for the umlaut?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
       Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: address@hidden
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Okay, I'm a bit more confused. I learned early on to always save my TeXShop files as UTF-8, but the characters get garbled if I don't. So, my default encoding is UTF-8, in addition to that, I usually include it in my pre-amble, just to remind myself.

To explain a bit better: here is my entire input file:
%!TEX TS-program =  Lilypond-LaTeX
%!TEX encoding =  UTF8
\documentclass[a4paper, 12pt]{article}
\topmargin -1.5cm
\oddsidemargin -0.04cm
\evensidemargin -0.04cm
\textwidth 16.59cm
\textheight 21.94cm
\pagestyle{empty}

\begin{document}

%Composers want to write good music. Performers want to listen to good music, and an audience wants to hear good music.
\begin{lilypond}
\version "2.11.36"
\include "deutsch.ly"
#(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)
\header {
        title = "Beauty—be not caused—It Is—"
        instrument = "Querflöte"
        subtitle = "Arien und Ariosen nach Gedichte von Emily Dickinson"
        }
{c'2 fis'4 h'8 a'}
\end{lilypond}
\end{document}
The lilypond code processes correctly when extracted. The whole, however, comes out with the errors as noted. Luckily, mats suggestion worked, but does this mean I shouldn't use \begin{lilypond} ever?