Music out of fragments & attaching lyrics to them

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: Music out of fragments & attaching lyrics to them
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:51:16 +0200

Dear All,

I'm trying to create a piece of music where accompaniment consists of
one measure fragments and they are then combined into a sequence. That
seems doable. However, I would have to add lyrics to these fragments
and I'm sort of stuck. \addlyrics and \lyricsto seem to produce
undesired results.

Is this possible or do I have to write the text in one block and just
attach it to the complete sequence? Even that poses some problems. If
I attach the lyrics inside the ChoirStaff they are placed on top of
the fragments.

Below you can find a two measure example and two images – current
output and the output I would like to get.

-Risto

%%%%% Start %%%%%
\version "2.11.37"

\paper {ragged-right = ##t}
% upper staff of fragment one
dUp = \relative c' \context Voice = "sa" {
}

% upper staff of fragment two
aUp = \relative c' \context Voice = "sa" {
}

% lower staff of fragment one
dLow = \relative c \context Voice = "b" {
    d8 r a r
}

% lower staff of fragment two
aLow = \relative c \context Voice = "b" {
    a8 r c r
}

% fragment one
dComb = <<
  \context Staff = "upper"
  {\dUp}
  % Text here?

  \context Staff = "lower"
  {\clef bass \dLow}
  % Text here? Preferably above the music.

%fragment two
aComb = <<
  \context Staff = "upper"
  {\aUp}
  % Text here?

  \context Staff = "lower"
  {\clef bass \aLow}
  % Text here? Preferably above the music.

solo = \relative c' \context Voice = "solo" {
    d4 d a a
}

\new ChoirStaff
<<
    \new Staff = "solo" {
        \time 2/4 \solo
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "solo" { Tral lal lal lah! }

    % accompaniment
    {\time 2/4 \dComb \aComb }
    \new Lyrics \with {alignBelowContext="upper"}
      \lyricsto "sa" { la -- lah lah la -- lah lah }
    \new Lyrics \with {alignAboveContext="lower"}
      \lyricsto "b" { Tral tral tral tral }