Re: Orchestral score

From: Thies Albrecht
Subject: Re: Orchestral score
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 18:52:56 +0100

Hi Jeremiah!

I'm still running v2.8.X and I don't know what has changed since. Nevertheless I'm going to show you how I handle score layout. Perhaps my logical approach can give you the right clou...

Reilly schrieb:
I have a score with 22 staves, one system to a page.

I want Lilypond to layout the score so that the the score "fills" the
page. It would be very nice if the first staff and last staff on each
page lined up when laid side by side. In other words, I want Lilypond
to stretch the interstaff spacing appropriately for each page...
When it comes to score layout I spread staves within a system manually like follows:

  % -------------
  % begin of code
  % -------------

\score {
  \context StaffGroup = "orchestra" {
    <<
      \context Staff = "instr1" {
        % here the vertical-extent is set
        \override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'Y-extent = '(-6 . 6)
        % description see below
        \firstPageCorr
        \music1
      }
      \context Staff = "instr2" {
        % here the vertical-extent is set - '(-6 . 6) doesn't have to be
        % the same as before
        \override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'Y-extent = '(-6 . 6)
        \music2
      }
      ... (and so on)

  % -------------
  %  end of code
  % -------------

I increase/decrease the vertical-extent for every staff by varying '(-6 . 6) until the system fits the whole page. Now I've got pages with equally spaced staves that look nice.

Problem: The first page only holds the title, the first system on the following page.

To solve this I reduce the overall extent of the first system. It looks like this:

  % -------------
  % begin of code
  % -------------

\dummyvoice = {