Re: volunteering and other questions

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: volunteering and other questions
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:35:56 -0800

Happy New Year.
Wow. There's been a lot of activity on the mailing list the last few days.

1. I want to help in some small way if I can, but I 'm not sure what's best for me to do. I looked at Graham's list of jobs (http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/lilyjobs.html) and I nothing stands out as something I'm particularly suited for. I'm a horn player, and so is Han-Wen, so it seems like the horn-specific stuff in Lilypond is pretty well taken care of. :-)
 English is my primary language, I'm not a programmer, and I'd say I'm an "advanced beginner" when it comes to proficiency with LP - I've been using it for about a year, but not heavily, usually just to arrange my own parts from other material. I read the mailiing list regularly, and learn a lot from it, usually just storing up the knowledge that LP is capable of X and that if I ever need to do X, I can search for it later, rather than actually using X. I'm always using the latest development version.
Can anyone just "assign me" a one-hour or less job, based on the above abilities? Then when I finish, either assign another or maybe it will be obvious to me what to do next.
If I don't get a response, I'll start with Checking the Learning Manual.

2. The advanced layout and titling stylesheet example in the LSR (http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=368) makes no sense to me at all.
It says, "Below is just a temporary dummy example to ensure LSR compatibility. Remember to remove it when using the actual code."
Where do I get "the actual code"?
(The description makes it sound like it will do something like what Nicolas' framwork in his Couperin book will do, but I can't figure out how to use Nicolas' code. It seems I need Linux, but I'm running WinXP. I surmise that the "makefile" is key to his framework, and to use it I need Linux, right?)

3. Suggestions for change to LM:

Chapter 2.1.1:
Under "Windows", replace "To get an empty file to start from, run the editor as described above and use “New” in the “File” menu."
with
"To get an empty file to start from, run the editor as described above and use “New” in the “File” menu, or right-click on the desktop and select New...Text Document, and change the extension to .ly."

Chapter 2.1.3
"a comment is a remark for the human reader of the music input; it is ignored while parsing, so it has no effect on the printed output. There are two types of comments. The percent symbol % introduces a line comment; anything after % on that line is ignored. A block comment marks a whole section of music input as a comment. Anything that is enclosed in %{ and %} is ignored. (Comments do not nest.) "

What does " Comments do not nest" mean? Does it mean I can't put a comment within a comment? I tried it and it seemed to be no problem.

4. What is a .ily file?

Tim Reeves