Re: Few more questions from a beginner

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Few more questions from a beginner
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:04:18 +0000

J. Cohen wrote:
I've managed to get this far on Lachrimae from the help that people on
the list have provided so far:
http://www.guitarmiami.com/tank/lachrimae.ly
http://www.guitarmiami.com/tank/lachrimae.pdf

I haven't been able to figure out a few things:

* Put some naturals in parentheses (e.g., measures 8 and 9)

Use a ? instead of a ! - i.e. d''?32

* Move rests to correct height.  Many of the rests aren't appearing at
the same height as their voices. (e.g., measures 3 and 7)

Specify the position of the rest with: d''4\rest

* In 4/4 isn't it better to break 8th notes into groups of two instead
of groups of four? (e.g., last measure) Is it possible to do that in
Lilypond?

You can manual beam { c8[ d] e[ f] } or change the automatic settings. See "9.1.2 Setting automatic beam behavior"

* Some of the notes are stacked on top of each other. (e.g., measure 4)
 Should I just use padding to move each note individually?

Yes, I think so. You could try it in version 2.11 - it handles a lot of spacing issues much better.

--
Mark Knoop