Lne width set in time rather than mm or cm?

From: Clifford Racz
Subject: Lne width set in time rather than mm or cm?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:37:22 -0500

I am transcribing music for some music books and I am generating EPS files using lilypond-book.

I read the manual and looked at the newsgroup, seeing that line widths are set using a block that defines the paper width:
\paper{
  line-width=120\mm
}

I wondered if there was a way to set the line width so that the score is spaced somewhat evenly, but the with would vary with the length of the score, and not set to some arbitrary size (like 120mm)?

In the documentation here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Music-fragment-options

There only lengths can only be specified in [cm | mm | in | pt].

Like to say [1 quarter-notes per cm] or something like that?