RE: Problems with automatic beaming when autoBeamOff in 3/8 time

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Problems with automatic beaming when autoBeamOff in 3/8 time
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:56:48 -0000

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote on 28 December 2007 08:45

> Am Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2007 schrieb Trevor Daniels:
> > Hi Reinhold
> >
> > As the two types of bar have different
> sub-beats there is
> > no way to do this automatically with just a
> single setting,
> > AFAIK - every time the sub-beating changes the new
> > beatLength will have to be indicated - just as
> if you were
> > changing the time signature.  You already know the
> > overrides to do this:
> >
> > \set Score.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 16)
> > \set Score.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 16)
> >
> > The commands can be set as short-name
> variables, and they
> > apply score-wide, so only need to be placed in
> one staff,
> > like this:
>
> Ouch, then I have a serious problem. I was not
> completely honest about those
> measures (or rather I was too lazy to use
> multiple staves in the example),
> but the first two measures of my example actually
> appear in parallel in
> Schubert's Stabat Mater D383, e.g. in "Nr.8
> Arie", measures 11 or 55. I'm
> attaching a scan of an 1897 Edition of that
> piece, a 1996 edition uses the
> exact same beaming.

Not a problem.  Just change the beatLength in the
Staff context instead, using

\set Staff.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 16)
\set Staff.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 16)

although the changes have then to be inserted
in the music for each staff, which adds to the
work.

> Cheers,
> Reinhold
> --