RE: Two midi questions

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Two midi questions
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:04:38 -0000

Alasdair McAndrew wrote on 27 December 2007 22:59

> I have used
>
> \set Staff.midiInstrument = "viola"
>
> but the midi output still seems to contain a
> piano sound in it.  It's as though I can add
> an instrument sound to the midi file, but not
> turn off the default piano sound.  What's
> going on, and how can I fix it?

Impossible to say without seeing your code.
Could you post a small snippet that shows this
problem?

> To change the midi tempo, I used
>
> \tempo 4=80 \once \override
>    Score.MetronomeMark #'transparent = ##t

It would be better to use

\once \override
    Score.MetronomeMark #'stencil = ##f

to remove the mark completely, rather than
making it transparent, which leaves it there to
affect other things.

> which seems unnecessarily clumsy.   Wouldn't
> it be easier to have a "midiTempo" command, so
> that

> \midiTempo 4=80

> would have the same effect as the line above?

Yes, but there are a very large number of such
possible 'enhancements'.  Already there are over
160 \xxx commands and rather than add to these
LilyPond gives users the facility to make their
own commands to suit their particular style and
needs.

> Thanks,
> Alasdair

Trevor D