RE: Staff and voice definitions

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: Staff and voice definitions
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:23:28 -0000

David

I take your points about the maths analogies.  They
clearly only serve to confuse anyone not familiar
with maths.  Thanks for this, and your other comments
on the Learning Manual.  I'll certainly bear them in
mind when I next edit that section and try to clarify
the words there.

Perhaps the hardest LilyPond concept to understand
is the use of double angle brackets - <<..>>.

Things contained within a brace {..} are sequential;
things contained within double angle brackets
<<..>> are concurrent (for historical reasons
LilyPond uses the term 'simultaneous' to mean
'concurrent'.)  So to stack Staves into a system they
must be placed within <<..>> as they music they contain
must be played concurrently; to stack Voices within
a Staff they must be within <<..>> for the same reason.

Multiple voices are only needed if there are notes
within the same staff which need to sound concurrently
but which start and/or end at different times; otherwise
using single angle brackets <..> to indicate chords is
adequate.

I'm not familiar with your specific example, but I
understand your difficulty.  A similar situation
arises in CPE Bach's "Solfeggettio" with a single
melody running through both hands and staves.  Below
I show how to write the first two bars of this piece in
two different ways.  Try compiling both of them to see
what they look like.

1) Splitting the melody into the two staves and
using skips to step over the periods when the
melody is in the opposite hand:

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "RH" <<
      \key c \minor
      \relative c' {
        s4 c16 ees d c s4 g'16 f ees d |
        \stemDown ees16 c ees g
        \stemUp c16 ees d c d c b a g f ees d |
      }

    \new Staff = "LH" <<
      \clef "bass"
      \key c \minor
      \relative c {
        ees16 c ees g s4 b16 g b d s4 |
        s4*4

2) Coding a single melody line and using \change
to switch this between staves.  I've never used
this before and I found this quite tricky to do,
for the reasons I've placed below the example.  If
Mats or anyone else can improve on how to use
\change for this example or correct any misconceptions
in the comments below I'm sure we'd both be grateful.
First the same example coded this way:

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "RH" <<
      \key c \minor
      \skip 1*2

    \new Staff = "LH" <<
      \clef "bass"
      \key c \minor
      \relative c {
        ees16 c ees g
        \change Staff = "RH" c ees d c
        \change Staff = "LH" b g b d
        \change Staff = "RH" g f ees d |
        \stemDown ees c ees g
        \stemUp c ees d c d c b a g f ees d |

and now some comments.  The melody -must- be placed
in the lowest staff, because the references in the
\change statement can refer only to staves which
have already been defined earlier.  This also means
the music cannot be placed in a variable, as that
has be be defined before it is used, and both
cannot be satified simultaneously.  Also the
\skip in the first staff is -required- if there is
no other music on that staff, otherwise
the staff no longer exists when it is needed as the
melody switches to it.  The skip has to be as long
as the music, here just 2 bars.

HTH a bit

Trevor D