RE: How do I put parentheses around some notes?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: How do I put parentheses around some notes?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:48:35 -0000

The following is a bit of a hack, and there may be better
ways, but it does do what you want.  It has to be hand-tuned
for every occasion, but I guess you need it only once or
twice.  It uses \markup to generate a pair of brackets of
the required size and then moves them to the correct
position.  The fontsize and two offset numbers will need to
be tuned to suit your needs.  Here's an example of it which
you may recognise.

\paper {
   ragged-right = ##t
\new Staff <<
  \key g \major
  \partial 4
  \new Voice = "Sop" {
    \relative c'' {
      \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(-1
. -6)
      g4^\markup { \fontsize #2 { "(  )" } } | g2
  \new Voice = "Alto" {
    \voiceTwo
    \relative c' {
      d4 | d2