Re: instrument names in some contexts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: instrument names in some contexts
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:02:15 +0100

Wilbert Berendsen wrote:

Op maandag 10 december 2007, schreef Mats Bengtsson:
Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
Isn't it a good idea to add the instrument_name_engraver by default to
the ChoirStaff, GrandStaff and StaffGroup contexts?
Sure!

There is a little issue with the instrumentName in e.g. the ChoirStaff: when there are lyrics below the bottom-most staff, but not above the top staff (which is often the case) the Instrument Name is not exactly vertically centered in front of the system start brace, but appears to be too low (because the lyrics context below the bottom staff is also taken into account).
Then, just move the lyrics context out of the ChoirStaff:
\score{
<<
 \new ChoirStaff<<
   \new Staff = upper {...}
   \new Lyrics = lyricsinbetween {...}
   \new Staff = lower {...}

 \new Lyrics = lyricsbelow {...}

}

Having the instrument_name_engraver in the ChoirStaff is useful for double-choir music, etc.

(a little OT:)
Why not go one step further and remove the PianoStaff context completely.
By now, the only difference compared to a GrandStaff is the
Instrument_name_engraver
which exists in the PianoStaff context, but not in GrandStaff.

Yes, but I think the PianoStaff should stay, there may be small adjustments (e.g. concerning kneed cross staff beams etc) that distinguish the PianoStaff. Also I think it is a very clear name for a staffgroup with a clear purpose. (I could imagine the GrandStaff being removed instead...)
If you look at the current definition in ly/engraver-init.ly,
the only difference between GrandStaff and PianoStaff
is what I described.

   /Mats