Re: SOLVED: going backwards in time

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: SOLVED: going backwards in time
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:32:00 -0600

On Nov 28, 2007 4:46 PM, Adam James Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Trevor,

As you suspected, there WAS indeed a math error -- I checked things
over yet again and found I'd entered a time signature as 4356/6319
instead of 4365/6319.  (I'm doing some things algorithmically and some
intuitively, hence the entering of some data by hand).

I feel considerably relieved that it was my error and not Lily's!  I
feel pretty confident now that I can inflict my sickest notation and
not have to worry about Lily breaking.

Now the only thing going backwards in time (at least it feels this
way) is my compositional process!

Hi Adam,

Excellent. I think what clued me in was the error message about going *backwards* in time ...

And, yes: I think Han-Wen and the gurus really *really* got it right on the time-keeping: AFAICS, it's all rationals all the time and so completely exact.

The formal + intuitive way of working is definitely a great way to go. Maybe a quick script in python just to check things like well-formedness of time signatures and stuff could be a nice addition to your arsenal in future?

Good luck with the piece! Looks amazing from the small bits I've seen ...

:-)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden