Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood LSR

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood LSR
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:01:15 -0800

Rune Zedeler wrote:
Graham Percival skrev:

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a
    % added in 2.8.6
comment to snippets, though.

Will the original version be available somewhere, or is it lost forever as soon as the convert-ly has been run?

It's lost.

If the original is lost I do not see a need for a comment on when the snippet was introduced.

When a snippet breaks, it might give hints as to what it was supposed to show? If we can assume that it worked when the snippet was introduced, at least.

That is true, and therefore I still think that the original version of snippets should be kept - so that it as possible to reconstruct how they originally looked.

Not possible in LSR.  Sorry.

It is correct that in an ideal world snippets will keep looking the same. But experience shows that severe bugs - even bugs that are clearly visible in the manual - can be introduced into lilypond, and stay undiscovered for quite a lot of time.

That's why we want a user to volunteer to check the regression tests. It takes about 15 minutes a month, but it would drastically improve the stability of lilypond.

Volunteers?
- Graham