Re: lp with korean/utf8 lambda dvipdfmx

From: Minsu Kim
Subject: Re: lp with korean/utf8 lambda dvipdfmx
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:43:28 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Werner!

> I've never used HLaTeX directly -- everything is in Korean which I
> don't understand

Of course I wouldn't expect that; But the hlguide.pdf (or hlguide-u.tex)
nevertheless contains many English expressions -- and you're familiar with
latex ;-)

Step by step I'll reach my goal.
This hint has done it:

> You've done a syntax error:
>
> >   \addlyrics {
> >     \override #'(font-name . "휴먼우린체,Woorin R")
> >     [...]
>
> This must be
>
>     \addlyrics {
>       \override Lyrics . LyricText #'font-name = "Woorin R"
>       [...]

Where did you find this?

I tested the engraving successfully several times with different fonts, without
any extra effort; meanwhile I found one called "HYPillGi-Light" yet and, the
result looks quite nice :-))

---

The status quo is that I will embed this lilypond-eps into the main document,
which uses hlatex/lambda. Within hlatex, one can switch the (Korean) fonts
easily. -- And if possible, within hlatex I would like to desribe via a listing
(what means some lines of verbatim-code) how to change fontencs and -families
with cjk.sty/utf8. I'd like to show if it's really possible to typeset with
(e.g.) pilgi with cjk.sty or not -- therefor I needed the lyrics.

All the same I partly understand now what's about this 'font-selection-
business'. There are still some questions left, so sooner or later I'll take a
closer look at your cjk-mailing-list (probably located at comp.text.tex), I
guess.

But before, just to get ahead with my essay, please tell me a few things more
(though the questions may sound stupid~).

1) Supposing one's system is utf8-based -- am I right that with cjk.sty at
default one has no access to other fonts (and characters of them in a different
encoding) than myoungjo (like pilgi)? -- But would it (only) be possible with
\begin{CJK}[HL]{KS} if the system is euckr-based?
Otherwise with what switch exactly could one access them -- if the necessary
fonts are installed/converted?

2) Is it possible to work cjk.sty and hangul.sty (hlatex) in the same document,
if more than one fontenc would be loaded; what fontencs would that be? And
should the compilation be run with latex or lamba then?

3) phhh~ xelatex... another door to push open...
Would this be the missing link or, is this a even replacement for hlatex/cjk?
And what's the difference to lambda~?

unh... before entering the next level i have in mind to learn more basic things
about (international) font specs! -- I'll get that recent book "fonts &
encodings" :)

Thanks a lot!

Minsu