Space on the left end of each line

From: Don Blaheta
Subject: Space on the left end of each line
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:07:00 -0600

This seems like the sort of thing there should be an easy tweak for, but
I'm not finding the right properties to change, I guess.

I'm setting a bunch of plainchant stuff in more or less modern
notation, so it uses modern note heads and spacing rules and five lines,
but still doesn't have a time signature or key signature and the clef is
only printed on the first line.  However, since the notes start in
immediately on subsequent lines, the lyrics (which are centred on each
note head) sometimes hang off the left end of the staff.  When I have a
stanza mark or something, then it *really* hangs off the end.

So I'd like to allow a fixed-width space at the beginning of the line
before the notes start rendering.  I say "fixed-width" because I've
tried a bunch of things involving adding an invisible note at the
beginning of the line, but since there are a different number of notes
on each line, this makes a variable-width space and the result looks
very ragged.

Ideally this fixed-width space would be configurable, but I'd settle for
an "invisible clef sign" (i.e. a space the same width as the clef sign
on the first line).  But I couldn't figure out how to do that either.

I'm using LP 2.10.0 at the moment, but I'm happy to upgrade again if the
answer is to be found in a later version.

--
-=-Don address@hidden<http://www.blahedo.org/>-=-
"How do I love thee?  My accumulator overflows."