Re: GDP: church rests

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: GDP: church rests
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:45:42 +0100

On 15 Nov 2007, at 00:57, Graham Percival wrote:

GDP:
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/

Take a look at
NR 1.2.2 Writing rests: Multi measure rests

is "church rests" a real musical term?  There's some question over
whether we should use "church rests" or "Kirchenpausen".

Mensural notation preceded modern notation (ca 1600), but indicated rests are modern. I have dictionary that calls them
Length  UK english      US English   French
1/2     minim rest      half rest    la demi-pause
1       semibreve rest  whole rest   la pause
2               breve rest           la double pause

It does not say for length 4, but in mensural notation, the note is called "longa". In fact
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_%28music%29
just calls it "long rest".

For shorter rests, in English, one just uses the note name plus "pause". For example
Length   UK english      US English
1/64     hemidemisemiquaver rest   sixty-fourth rest

In French, the 1/4 rest is called "le soupir", and the other rests are given fraction names of that. For example
Length   French
1/64     le seizième de soupir

Hindemith suggests using |---| with a number over for rests of nine measures or longer.
    9
  |---|

  Hans Åberg