Re: GDP predefined commands

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP predefined commands
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:06:47 +0100

Graham Percival wrote:
Yes, with one quirk: the LM/NR division.

The current "changing defaults" doesn't make anybody happy. It's too verbose for programmers (or people who are already familiar with it, but can't remember certain details), but much too short for first-time readers. So we're going to compact that chapter in the NR, and expand the relevant chapter in the LM.

By analogy, consider the man pages in unix. If you've never used a command before -- say, git :) -- then the man pages are useless. You can't learn how to use git just from reading the man pages. You need to read a tutorial, web pages, etc.

OTOH, if you're already familiar with the basic concepts, and just can't remember if you want
    git-diff -M --cached
or
    git-diff -B HEAD
then the man pages are great.

NR is a reference to look stuff up; LM is for learning the material in the first place.
Agreed! However, what's special with LilyPond is that it's three levels, not two. Often for me, the IR is the real reference to look stuff up. The division between NR and IR is obvious for you and me, who know that the IR is the autogenerated stuff. However, there's some information, in particular hidden in some interface
descriptions, that could just as well have been in the NR.
Again, I don't argue againts the current division, I'm just pointing out the fact that
this three level division is fairly uncommon compared to many other programs
and may not seem that obvious to new users.

   /Mats