Re: Description of feathered beams

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Description of feathered beams
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:17:08 -0700

I can't speak to the specifics of feathered beams, but there's two general warnings: - explanations about what the notation means should go in the glossary. I might keep the first sentence in your explanation, but move other parts to the glossary.

- avoid "talking through" the lilypond code -- I'm looking at your second paragraph here. If something is obvious from the code, don't type it in words. ie remove grow-direction, fraction is supplied, etc. There are two reasons for this: 1) it's redundant, since the example explains it already. (remember that users already know the general theory of tweaking from the LM) 2) if the syntax changes in the future, the @lilypond[] example will be automatically updated with convert-ly. This doesn't apply to the main text, however.

Cheers,
- Graham

PS are you going to update your "reply-to" email field?

Trevor Daniels wrote:
I'm attempting to improve the very brief description
of feathered beams in the GDP Notation Reference.
Could those of you more knowledgeable than I am please
check the following draft and either correct or confirm
it.  Thanks.

Trevor D

"Feathered beams are used to indicate that a small group of
notes
should be played at an increasing (or decreasing) tempo,
without
changing the overall tempo of the piece.  Within the group
the
tempo accelerates (or decelerates) then returns to the
original
tempo.  Such figures may be printed by setting the
'grow-direction' property of a beam and specifying
a fraction which indicates the ratio of the duration of the
first note of the group to the last.  This fraction is
supplied
to the \featherDurations music function which operates on
the
following short music expression to adjust the durations of
the
notes.  The beam extent must be indicated manually using [
and ].
The spacing in the printed output represents the note
lengths
only approximately, but the midi output is exact.

"In the following example the eight 16th notes occupy
exactly
the same time as a half note, but the first note is twice
as short as the last one, with the intermediate notes
gradually
lengthening."

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##t