Re: Church Rests

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Church Rests
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:24:23 +0200

2007/10/19, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> In the section on multi-measure rests the manual talks about
> "church rests", meaning the use of increasing numbers of
> little rectangles to indicate how many measures are included
> in the multi-measure rest.  In this a generally accepted
> musical term, or one invented for lily?

They are completely usual in orchestral parts since I can remember.

Possibly their origin are the choral parts, but as you probably know,
choral scores are now usually read in full score, not parts.

Church rests were best read in past centuries when the typical written
note durations were longer than now are.

I can be wrong, though.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org