Re: lilypond imbedded in text

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: lilypond imbedded in text
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:12:11 -0700 (PDT)

Kieran Coulter wrote:

> Hi, I am planning on starting a method book series for lilypond. I am
> curious what the general format is for mixing various fonts and styles,
> pictures, and lilypond exercises and pieces to play. I'll have a look at
> what is in the documentation in the meantime, but I plan to write it very
> quickly! (it's one of the targets for my thesis work) Kieran Coulter

Also check out:

10.1.5 Extracting fragments of notation
It is possible to quote small fragments of a large score directly from the
output. This can be
compared to clipping a piece of a paper score with scissors.
This is done by definining the measures that need to be cut out separately.
For example,
including the following definition
\layout {
clip-regions
= #(list
(cons
(make-rhythmic-location 5 1 2)
(make-rhythmic-location 7 3 4)))
}
will extract a fragment starting halfway the fifth measure, ending in the
seventh measure. The
meaning of 5 1 2 is: after a 1/2 note in measure 5, and 7 3 4 after 3
quarter notes in measure 7.
Chapter 10: Non-musical notation 250
More clip regions can be defined by adding more pairs of rhythmic-locations
to the list.
In order to use this feature, LilyPond must be invoked with -dclip-systems.
The clips are
output as EPS files, and are converted to PDF and PNG if these formats are
switched on as
well.
For more information on output formats, see program usage manual, Invoking
lilypond.
See also
Examples: ‘non-notation/clip-systems.ly’

Rick (I sponsored this one)