Re: GDP - Learning Manuall Songs section

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: GDP - Learning Manuall Songs section
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 03:41:20 +0200

On 26.09.2007 (17:41), Graham Percival wrote:
> Trevor Daniels wrote:
> >This is rather short at
> >present, and I would like to extend it.  The question is, by
> >how much.  I'd welcome your views on the suggestions below.
> >In particular, is this too long?  Does this cover too
> >many/too few topics?

> I've been thinking about the Tutorial vs. the rest of the Learning Manual,
> and I think I finally have a good answer: the Tutorial should cover just
> enough material to allow people to write simple pieces using the
> Templates.

Can I come in here with a small request? I agree that the Tutorial
should be limited to what you say, but concerning the templates, I
don't think it should be limited to just being able to copy a template
and filling in the dotted lines. It  would be much more useful if the
templates were lavishly commented (following the principle "give a man
a fish vs. teach him to steal cattle"). I know this is a question of
time, but I also know that I would have progressed more quickly from
"quite confused", "making lots of mistakes", to "having a vague idea
why this works" and finally "heureka!" if every non-trivial step had
been explained. I've actually started on something like that, and I'll
be happy to contribute eventually.

Eyolf