Re: Half a \prall

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Half a \prall
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:46:22 +0200

On 17 Sep 2007, at 14:32, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Yes, that is the idea - I am using UTF-8 files in Xcode (Mac OS X 10.4.10). I have also found a Unicode font Euterpe that does it correctly:
  http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/Eimai/191

I also found (replies in the Unicode mailing list) some other Unicode fonts, but U+1D19D is designed wrongly, as a Pralltriller, instead of having only on peak and valley:
  http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/music.html
  http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
  http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/math.html
  http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/musical_symbols
Cf.
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf

They have many other useful musical symbols, though.

So the question is how to choose musical symbols selectively from different fonts, and the make say ornament symbols from that.

In general, the font handling library used in LilyPond will try to find a matching font
that contains the symbol.

So does Mac OS X. Probably a necessity, as I think a Unicode font only can contain a maximum of 2^16 = 65536 characters, whereas Unicode has more than 100000. So, in order to cover all Unicode characters, more than one font is needed.

Otherwise you can specify the font-name explicitly, for example
using a \markup{...} as shown in section "Font selection", at least as the font works with
Unicode.

Thank you. I will look it up.

After a brief look at these fonts, I think one may have to choose between them, to get the right glyphs. The state of the art. :-)

  Hans Åberg