Re: GDP: flattening the manual to two layers?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: flattening the manual to two layers?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:38:59 -0700

Valentin Villenave wrote:
I suggested avoiding subsubsections such as in current Vocal music.
Graham is reluctant to make more chapters (still can't forget about
his "four letters" answer in a private mail :)

Ok, come on, it was hilarious!  But we really need to explain this.

John and Valentin were dithering about Vocal music: "should we leave it in instrument-specific, or make it a new chapter... but it's too short to be a chapter by itself... what to do, what to do...?"

My response:

"hmm, yeah... vocal music is tricky. If only we had a dedicated chapter for putting words on the page... especially if we had a new, dedicated chapter, that was much shorter than the other chapters... we could give that chapter a nice short name, like "word", or maybe something else with four letters..."

Poor Valentin thought I was swearing at him*. I, of course, was referring to the new chapter "Text".

* in English, most swearwords have four letters; the phrase "four-letter words" generally** refers to swearwords. ** one of my conductors make jokes about this: "no, no! You're playing loud, and `loud' is a four-letter word. Think `heroic' or `strong' instead! No four-letter words in this orchestra!"

Cheers,
- Graham