Re: GDP: flattening the manual to two layers?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GDP: flattening the manual to two layers?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:18:37 +0200

2007/9/11, Eyolf Østrem <address@hidden>:
> On 11.09.2007 (06:41), Trevor Bača wrote:

> > Question: has anyone suggested replacing the three-layer chapter /
> > section / section structure with a two-layer chapter / section
> > structure?

I suggested avoiding subsubsections such as in current Vocal music.
Graham is reluctant to make more chapters (still can't forget about
his "four letters" answer in a private mail :) but as more and more
users ask for structural changes, he might want to explain his
reluctance...
I personnally have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I suspect
more chapters would make the manual less visibly structured (large
chapters help understand the different kinds of logics in LilyPond),
on the other hand I voted myself for independant Vocal and Ancient
chapters.
I guess the main goal is to make life easier for everyone. Since
everybody, more or less, is using lyrics, I thought Vocal music should
be very visible. But the same isn't (unfortunately) true for Ancient
music...

>  there is no need for that kind of
> arbitrary distinctions between basic and advanced etc. that Trevor
> mentions.

Graham's whole point is to make Basic/Advanced/etc disappear anyway.
There's quite a conscensus about that.

Valentin