partial SpanBar possible?

From: Adam James Wilson
Subject: partial SpanBar possible?
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:44:22 -0700

I have a StaffGroup that contains four staves.  Most of the time, I
want a SpanBar to pass through all four staves.  However, there are
some points at which I'd like the SpanBar to connect only the bottom
three staves, or the middle two staves.

Changing StaffGroup.SpanBar #'transparent = ##t wipes out the entire
SpanBar.  I tried moving the Span_bar_engraver to the Staff context
and turning on and off transparency for each staff accordingly for a
given barline, but this results in either (a) the whole SpanBar
persisting, or (b) no SpanBar at all.

How can I get occaisional "partial" SpanBars in a StaffGroup?

Best,
Adam