Re: programming error: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume.

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: programming error: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume.
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:25:20 -0400

Hi Ed,

I started getting this message:
  programming error: (de)crescendo on items with specified volume.
When I added this line to the melody portion (of a singer with piano piece)
       \times 2/3 { e8 e e } e,4. \> e8 \! \p ^"rit." ds e |
The warning goes away if I remove the "\p".

Since \! and \p both visually (and, thus, technically) terminate a decrescendo, there might be some sort of (internal Lilypond) conflict going on when you put both on the same note. Try getting rid of the \! instead of the \p -- it will have the same (visual) effect, but will leave the explicit volume/dynamic in place.

This is the same  piece that has the other warning I just posted
about "going back in MIDI time".  In spite of the two warnings both
the PDF and  MIDI output seem OK.

I predict that eliminating the \! will result in eliminating the error messages without affecting the "OK-ness" of the PDF and MIDI output. =)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.