more about page breaks in measures

From: Adam James Wilson
Subject: more about page breaks in measures
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:52:50 -0400

Here's the rest of this thread, in reverse order - I accidentally replied to
Mats instead of the list.
===================

The principle you describe should indeed work. However, when I tried a
small example, I discovered that there's some strange bug involved and I
have just sent a bug report. It seems to be a recent bug, since at least
one of
my examples worked correctly in version 2.10.25 but failed when I upgraded
to 2.10.29 (for the development versions, I have only tried 2.11.29,
where it
fails as well).

   /Mats

Hi Mats, thanks for the reply!

I've checked this - the first method, putting a fake barline in each staff, doesn't work, because  the two staves in the score have streams of notes in relatively prime number pulses over the same period of time - so a barline in one lands on top of a note duration in the other.  Putting the break in an extra "empty" voice and removing Forbid_line_break engraver from the voice in which the break should occur I though might work, so I removed the engraver from the music voice in both staves and added the a voice with the same breaks in each of the staves - this didn't seem to work; the console printed something like "pagebreak event overidden by some other event . . ."  Is there something else I'm missing?

 Imagine a measure of 270/8 over a measure 331/8 in the same time - each barred in 3/8; in each the 3/8 bar takes up different amount of space, so none of the barlines line up.

It seems the simplest hack would be to fix the page width issue - I tried adding my own page, (append! paper-alist '(("adam" . (cons (* 1100 in) (* 17 in))))), but the output width was still truncated to 200in.  It seems like this upper limit, wherever it is coded, would be easy to remove, yes?

BTW I'm using the latest development release v. 2.11.29

Best,
Adam