Re: Microtone accidentals

From: Siska Ádám
Subject: Re: Microtone accidentals
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:54:01 +0200

Hello,

after lot of people suggested to me to upgrade to version 2.11, I did it. I have to admit that the result is much better than in 2.10, specially with a lot of smart automation on text positioning, which up to now was done by myself. But I have some serious problems which I don't know how to solve. These are almost all related to textspanners.

1) If I simply use the method suggested by upgrade-ly for text spanners, that is:

\override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = <left-text>
\override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = <right-text>

I don't get the dashed lines, only the texts (in my particular case, <left-text> was set to #(markup #:italic "restez IV"), and <right-text> to "", but also doesn't work with #(markup #:italic "sul sol") and "", etc.)

2) I'm also getting the bug posted some time ago by Trevor Bača ('Overly thick results from markup with draw-line'). Is there some workaround related to this?

3) If there's a linebreak while a text spanner is active, the textspanner's end-text gets displayed on the end of the line, and the textspanner's begin-text gets displayed at the beginning of the new line. How can I avoid this behaviour and get the one that worked in 2.10? (No duplications of the begin and end texts.) The reason in my particular case is that the mentioned text-spanner tells the player that he has to go from ordinary bow to sul ponticello while playing, and he only has to reach the sul ponticello at the end of the text span. If I got the sp sign printed on the end of the line, and I get the ord sign printed at the beginning of the new line again, that would mean that the player should do this two times (the ord->sp transition).

4) text spanners are printed for some reason some times very very far from the musical context, with no reason. Also, markup texts are placed always above text spanners, which not always is convenient, but I don't know how to change this behaviour. Also, if I have several text spanners the one after the other, every new text spanner gets placed above the prior one, causing the space between the staves to be enormous. The normal behaviour for this should be that in this cases they come one time above, the next time below the prior text spanner, respectively, to keep space. Can I force the spanners to do this somehow?

5) There's a line in my score where I get no more linebreak. In 2.10, Lilypond broke me the line at that particular place, thus I got a very nice and balanced score (this was not a manual linebreak, however, it was a very good decision by the engine to put it there). Now, I don't get the linebreak, and thanks to this, I have two pages that contain single systems (I'm engraving a string quartet!), and in one of them the system is longer than the page... And even if I put a manual linebreak, it does nothing. In the particular case, there are several glissandi crossing that barline. Can this cause this error? Do you have any idea to avoid it?

6) At compilation time, I'm getting lots of 'warning: Found infinity or nan in output. Substituting 0.0' warnings, which I hadn't get before. Do you have any idea for this?

Thank you,
Adam

Siska Ádám
+36 (70) 207-63-85