Re: How to screen-optimize stems

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: How to screen-optimize stems
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:20:08 +0200

Quoting Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:

>> \paper {
>>    blot-diameter = 2 \pt
>> }
>> Unfortunately it does not work with bar-lines, though.

> Oh, but you could simply add
>
>  \override Score.BarLine #'thickness = #100
>
> problem solved :-)

I am not really sure whether this was a joke, sorry.
(Was it a joke?)

Well, the thickness isn't used for anything in barlines, so overriding thickness
will not change anything.

We have

Bar_line::compound_barline (Grob *me, string str, Real h,
                            bool rounded)
and

Bar_line::print (SCM smob)
..
      return compound_barline (me, str, sz, false).smobbed_copy ();

Notice the hard-coded "false".

So bar-lines are hardcoded to be made of non-rounded rectangles (that is, to be
outlined with a zero-width line).

I see to ways to solve the problem:
Either (a): Use rounded rectangles for bar-lines. That way my solution would
also work for bar-lines (perhaps one would have to increase the blot-diameter a
bit more.
Or (b): Add a lookup representing a line drawn with non-rounded ends and use
this for the bar-lines.

I will happily do this (b). Should I send a patch?
Notice that this will have no effect on the music on print. The only difference
will be how the music is rendered on screen. Representing lines as lines drawn
with a thickness rather as a filled rectangle makes it easier for the reader to
"know what it is showing" and therefore reproducing output nicely on screen.