\rightHandFinger write numbers (not letters)

From: Yannick Patois
Subject: \rightHandFinger write numbers (not letters)
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:18:42 +0200

Hi,

I'm completly new to lilypond, and dont understand most of the logic
behind. Anyway, I tried a few things and it didnt worked out as expected.

I tried to compile the following:

\include "italiano.ly"

#(define RH rightHandFinger)

unenote = \relative do' { s2 s8 <la-2>8 }

fragAlodie   = \relative do' {
  <do-1 \RH #3 >4 <re-4>8 <mi do>8. <fad-3>16 mi8
  <re si-2 >4 <si-2 \RH #2 >8 <sol-0>8. <la-2 \RH #2 >16 si8
}

fragAcomp   = \relative do' {
  <la-2 \RH #3 la,>4. <la-2 \RH #3 la,>
  <sol-3 sol,>4. <sol,-3>4.
  <fa fa'>4. <fa>
}

\score {
  {
    % Here
    \tempo 4 = 90
    \clef "G_8"
    \key do \major
    \time 6/8

    \unenote
    <<
      \set fingeringOrientations    = #'(left)
      \fragAlodie \\
      \fragAcomp

The main problem is that righthand fingering are displayed as numbers,
not letters, this does not correspond to the documentation as I
understand it.

My second question is about the "\set fingeringOrientations" option: it
seems that it's not effective if I move it at the location I marked  by
"% Here" in the code. So that would means that the property is not
inherited. Beside being annoying, I wonder about the exact inheritance
properties of the various setting of Lilypond, because this property was
 effective in the \fragA* parts... Does it not cross a '<< >>' section?
In that case what is the reset value? Does that means that if my frag
did contains a subparts in '<< >>' I would have had to reiter my setting?

My last question is about polyphony. I dont understand what is the best
way to represent it. The two voices as I did is fine and meaningful, but
when I have several notes at the same time in one of the voice, I'm
lost. I tried to create sub-voices (<< >> again), but got stuff like
"warning: maybe input should specify polyphonic voices", and I didnt
understand what to do.

Thanks for any help,

        Yannick