Re: commands list and syntax

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: commands list and syntax
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:10:07 -0700

hernan gonzalez wrote:
For one (for the first) thing: The "Commands index"
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/LilyPond-command-index
is supposed to be "an index of all LilyPond \commands".
Now, that list (besides being non-categorized, with the "important"
commands buried among lots of gregorian-stuff and such)

We can't do anything about that; texinfo creates an alphabetical index.

does not
include a lot of very basic commands (\score \midi  \markup
\appoggiatura \version ! ) .
Or am I missing something and those are not "commands" ?

The general idea is that these are for things like \markup and \appoggiatura (ie stuff that goes inside the music definition), but I wouldn't object to including things like \version and \score in that index.

Please see:
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

In some example in the docs, it is stated:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Saving-typing-with-identifiers-and-functions

... we've seen static substitution – when LilyPond sees \padText, it
replaces it with the stuff that we've defined it to be (ie the stuff
to the right of padtext=).

(actually that "at the right" seems misleading to me ; it's actually
the "block" or "atom" following the = sing. I think that that concept
should be more explained in the docs. If I understand weel, the braces
are used not just to enclose "expressions" or "fragments of music")

Err... concepts like "block" and "atom" might be familiar to you (as a programmer), but they're not familiar to me! The simplest way I could think of writing that part was to talk about "the stuff to the right of..."

I'm certainly not opposed to rewriting it, though!  Again, see

http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

and please send an exact proposal.

That phrase  led me to think that we have in general a textual macro,
something like  a #define in C. But if i write

myitalic = \italic
a^\markup{ \myitalic hi}

That's because there's no main music expression; you need {} around the second line.

it does not compile, in spite of this being valid:

a^\markup{ \italic hi}

This does? ... well, it kind-of works. In version 2.11.27, I get an error message, and only the "hi" is printed.

That command index, besides, links to the relevant page of the
documentation. It would be nice to have somewhere some kind of
reference of all the commands with their syntax (arguments;  and
context, if relevant).

Something similar to Appendix E Cheat sheet, but for more advanced commands? That would certainly be useful; again, see the "how to help with the documentation" page.

Cheers,
- Graham