Re: Polyphonic rests

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Polyphonic rests
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:19:06 +0200

I hope you realize that in the construct <<{ \A } \\ { \B } \\ {\C } \\ { \D } >>, then voices A and C will be treated as upper voices (i.e. all stems, slurs, ties, ...
point upwards) whereas \B and \D are the two lower ones. The only difference
between \A and \C is that the notes in \C are moved to the side in case of collisions,
similar for \B and \D.

So, if your third voice is the bass voice, then it should be either \B or \D in
the above scheme. If you want the two upper voice to have stems up, then
you could use
<<{ \A } \\ { \B } \\  \\ { \D } >>
or explicitly say
<<{ \A } \\ { \B } \\ {\voiceFour \D } >>

This may seem very illogical, but if you only have two voices,
< { \A } \\  { \B } >> then it's clear that \A should be upper and \B lower
and this part of the scheme is kept also when you have more voices.

If this doesn't answer your question, please include some example code
that illustrates your problem.

  /Mats

Claus Rogge wrote:
Hello all,

I haven´t had any questions for a long time because your answers here
were so good (just in case anyone was wondering where this stoopid has
been hiding ;)

I´ve set a piece with 3 parts on one system, not uncommon for classical
guitar music. Now any rests in voice two, that I want to appear in the
middle of the system, show up below voice 3 which is the bass.
Do I have to use \rest {a8} or similar on every single rest? Or can I
configure this somewhere (like \stemDown in the beginning of voice 3)?

The other thing I haven´t been able to solve browsing the manual is
this: I get hundreds of "Warning: Too many colliding rests" when running
the file. It compiles allright, but the rests are not treated in a
polyphonic way as I want it to.

How do I do that?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing