Re: Pre-Release: Slave Songs of the United States

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Pre-Release: Slave Songs of the United States
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 03:56:00 +0200

At Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:08:36 -0300,
"Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Lilypond does an excellent job on these songs, and only few manual
> > tweaks were necessary.  Some tweaks may be the result of my lack of
> > understanding of Lilypond internals.  The whole book contains 136
> > songs, each about 1 DIN A5 page on average.  The build tree produced
> > by lilypond-book is over 700 MB (!) strong, I suspect because the
> > required fonts are copied into each EPS file (can this be improved?).
>
> checkout -dhelp, You probably want to use
>
>   -dgs-load-fonts
>
> and preferably pdflatex.
>
> If you're technically inclined, you can run
>
>   make web >& logfile
>
> and see how we build the documentation. We try to minizime font loads too
> as it slows down the build.

I checked with the "make web" how to pass these options through
lilypond-book to lilypond, and it works great now: It only requires
something like 40 MB instead of 700 MB.

For those interested, the build commands are now:

$ lilypond-book --output=out/ --process="lilypond --backend=eps \
--formats=pdf -dinclude-eps-fonts -dgs-load-fonts" --psfonts slave-songs.tex
$ (cd out; pdflatex slave-songs.tex; pdflatex slave-songs.tex; \
cp slave-songs.pdf ../slave-songs.pdf)

(I don't know what -dinclude-eps-fonts does, though.)

I had to use pdflatex, as using --formats=ps and latex/dvips caused gs
to crash on the resulting file.  However, PDF is fine for me so I did
not investigate further.  I might have done the conversions
improperly.

Thanks,
Marcus