Re: \stemUp problem

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: \stemUp problem
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 15:09:01 +0200

Palmer, Ralph wrote:

> I'm trying to write out a cue, and I want the instrument name below the
> lower voice, but I can't get the right combination. First, I can't get
> the stem on the first note to go up. In the following code, I don't
> understand why the two quarter notes have their stems going up, but the
> half note has its stem going down. Am I missing something?

Since "\stemUp" is shorthand for "\override Stem  #'direction = #UP",
you need to insert it _before_ the note you want to affect. Also, you
only need to include it once. It then applies to all following notes. If
you want to revert the setting, say "\stemNeutral". See also section
"6.3.2 Stems" in the manual.

Cheers,
Max