Re: How to cleanly convert MIDI to Lilypond?

From: Damian leGassick
Subject: Re: How to cleanly convert MIDI to Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:49:31 +0100

Hi Michael

It's the age old problem of needing to drag the bars/beats to the note - not the other way round

I have to do this quite often (for different reasons) with one particular band that i work with - the studio jams are not to a click and sometimes an unrepeatable keyboard part needs to be imported to the 'real' session which is at a fixed tempo (I've learnt from experience to record the midi as well as the audio with this bunch...). Like you, i need to put some bars and beats where the notes already are before moving on.

Surprisingly, given its reputation for lame midi, the best tool for this job is Protools or ProtoolsLE. Using 'tab to note' and 'identify beat' you can tempo-map improvisations like yours really quickly - i'm making the assumption that your improvisations are pattern-based, like the scores on your site. Unlike the bar-based sequencers, you can just drag a beat marker if you've accidently put it on the wrong note and PT will adjust.  That kind of beat-editing to the midinote, whilst possible, is really painful in bar-based sequencers like logic, cubase, performer, rosegarden and (i'd guess) metro.

Once the beats and notes line up, you can flatten the tempos and export the midifile to (in my case) the real session or (in yours) to a notation program where you can do some tidying up before moving on to lilypond.

PTLE is not free obviously, but a second-hand mbox2 might be an option...

other thoughts...

••• too expensive

I would not recommend cubase, logic, or performer just for this job unless you want or need the extra features - for the money, you can buy sibelius, which will do a pretty decent job of following your improvisations.

••• cheap

i wouldn't recommend metro LE as it does not have 'tap tempo' or 'time scale' functions (the full metro does, but again, it's expensive and isn't ideal for this particular problem)

••• free

luna does not support tempo maps as far as i can tell so it won't do the job for you.

as you have an intel mac i'd try rosegarden under 'parallels' - it's free, has a 'match tempo to segment' function, decent notation and lilypond export .

whatever you decide, as far as midi2ly goes...

make life easy for yourself and lily by doing any quantization in a.n.other sequencer. keep your untweaked improvisation safe, and start hacking away at a copy. Remove all the sustain pedals (control 60) from the improvisation, then, once you've got the bars lined up with the correct note, hard-quantize the attacks. don't rely on playback-quantizing, as it won't necessarily make its way to the midifile. Then, most important, hard-quantize the note lengths too. The midi-file will of course sound rubbish, but midi2ly will at least have a chance.

you say on your site that you don't read music. i've got to be honest that even though you're a programmer you'll find lilypond hard to edit, the problem being that a lilypond file is a representation of real or imagined notation rather than an algorithm for generating printed music from data. in other words if you don't already know what the printed music should look like, you won't know what/why to input or tweak in lilypond.

anyway, that was rather a ramble... basically i'd recommend

expensive but will do the job well - sibelius
cheaper but will do the job - protools LE -> rosegarden
free but will do the job eventually - rosegarden

hope this helps

Damian