Re: music scores search engine

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: music scores search engine
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:20:46 +0200

2007/4/12, Mike Blackstock <address@hidden>:

I've installed the Nutch search engine software
(http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/)
on my site and use it to crawl and index websites that have good
repositories of
scores; finding a particular score is faster than searching via
the major search engines.

It's a project-in-progress but I find it useful enough to share with others.
The url is http://www.blackstock.ca/egroupware/sitemgr/utilities/ and if
anybody knows of good sites to index, let me know.

I find it's an excellent idea; maybe some extra options could be
needed (for instance, to find only LilyPond files, or free-licensed
scores :-), but this is indeed good start.

Ralph Palmer recently told me about another search engine, which was
developed by John Chambers to find ABC scores, with many usefuls
options (though undoubtely much less design-appealing than yours):
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

I wish there could be some tool to search *into* LilyPond files, for
instance to search for a precise theme or whatever... Applying
Google-like world-domination plans to LilyPond! :-)

OK, I may have too much imagination...

Regards,
Valentin.