[Editor OT] Finding the Unicode values of Japanese kanji?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: [Editor OT] Finding the Unicode values of Japanese kanji?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:00:02 -0500

Hi,

So I have the character 通 which I want enter into an .ly inputfile using vim.

(Apologies if the character doesn't come across correctly; it shows up
great in gmail under Camino on OS X.)

Here's what doesn't work: pasting the character directly into vim. My
version of vim is Unicode-aware and multibye compiled, but it doesn't
work. I get the five-character Roman sequence é<9a>, with everything
after the accented e showing up in blue, which is odd.

Here's what does work: enter the Unicode hex value by hand. Mark Knoop
mentioned this trick in vim. In insert mode type ctrl-v u809a, for
example. The kanji shows up correctly in vi (low resolution terminal
window, but still quite legible) and also prints great in the
resulting PDF.

The problem, however, is that I don't know the Unicode sequences for
the small handful of kanji I need to enter.

Question: does anyone know an online resource where I can type in, for
example, each of the characters in  通常の位置, one by one, and get back
Unicode sequences for each? Googling brings back some hopeful sites,
but I can't quite get any of them to *start* with the Japanese
character and reveal the Unicode; the sites all seem to want to do the
reverse and start with the Unicode and then reveal the kanji.

(Alternatively, if there's a straightforward way to paste kanji
directly into vim, I'd be grateful to find out what I'm missing.)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden