Re: Ugly volta brackets

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Ugly volta brackets
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:49:15 +1100

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:17:52PM +0100, Dominic Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when using volta brackets together with chordnames it doesnt look good to
> me.
> There are three problems:
>
> 1.) The font of the bracket numbers (1., 2., ...) doesnt look good. I
> want it to be the same font as the one that is used for chordnames. In
> addition the baseline of the chordnames should be the baseline of the
> bracket numbers to look good.
>
> 2.) The vertical lines of the volta brackets should also go down to
> the baseline of the chordnames.
>
> 3.) At the right end of volta bracket thereĀ“s no vertical line. Why?

Apologies in advance -- I'm not going to be much help!

Number one: check section 6.7.4 of the manual under 'Manual Repeats'.
If you manually specify the repeat (I agree, it's an ugly way to do
it) you can use a markup to specify the volta text, and change the
font using a markup. I can't figure out how to do it automatically
and/or globally. (For the record, I think Lily's default behaviour
looks far better, although your example does show an ugly near
collision between chord name and volta text.)

Number two... hmm, I agree. Can't help though.

The main reason I'm replying is to respond to number three.
IIRC This has been discussed on the list a few times, so you might
like to check the archives. However, I did notice that your example
doesn't have a vertical line either.

Cameron Horsburgh