Re: Skips in lyricsto

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Skips in lyricsto
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:28:14 +0100

Why not use the \melisma \melismaEnd commands described in
the section on Melismata? If you want to skip a long section of
music, you can use the tricks described in "Divisi Lyrics".

If you still end up using \skip, the duration of each \skip
shouldn't matter at all, so you could just as well use
\skip 4 or whatever. An alternative is to enter an underscore
instead of each \skip command, since the underscore is
interpreted as a space. i.e. you get an invisible syllable.
However, if you have very tight spacing, I seem to remember
that these spaces still take some space, which will affect the
note spacing. I think this is the reason that the solution using
\skip is described in the manual instead.

  /Mats

David Feuer wrote:

Is there an easy way to deal with skips in lyricsto?  My experience
suggests that there need to be as many \skip invocations as there are
notes/melismata to be skipped, and that to avoid bar check failures,
the skips should not span measures.  This recently led me to use

 \skip 8. \skip 16 \skip 2.

to match the notes

b'8 g16 a16 ~ | a2 r4

which is anything but natural.  How should I have handled this?

David

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems