Re: percussion clef notes: transposing

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: percussion clef notes: transposing
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 03:59:21 +0100

Scott Miller wrote:
OK I see. Thank you. I was expecting a default perc clef to act as a treble clef.

A very important reason for the percussion vlef not to behave like the trebble clef is that the percussion clef is often used on staves with another number of stafflines than five. The middle line (or middle space in case of even number of staff lines) is used as a reference point, meaning that if you change the number of staff lines, then notes that used to appear on the middle line will stay on the middle line. On a 3 line staff, for instance, the trebble clef will appear on the lower-most line, så that b' is still on the center line.

-Rune