Spacing issues

From: David Feuer
Subject: Spacing issues
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:36:24 -0500

I'm having a lot of trouble, mostly with spacing, in a vocal piece,
using LilyPond 2.11.19.  I could really use some help.  I've tried
various tweaks without much luck.  I've gone back to the defaults so
anyone willing to help will have a good starting point.  The .ly files
are available at
http://techhouse.org/~dfeuer/misc/Everything.ly
and
http://techhouse.org/~dfeuer/misc/codacode.ly

The problems, roughly in priority order:

1.  The spacing is oddly tight in a great many places, even where
there seem to be other places on the same line that are fairly loose.
See, for example,
The first line, in which the full-measure rest in measure 1 is pretty
big, and everything else is totally smushed, especially between notes
and following bar lines
The eighth rest in measure 34
The quarter rest in measure 46
If this is a bug in Lilypond's spacing algorithm, what version might I
use that doesn't have this bug?

2.  The lyrics aren't positioned so wonderfully.  In measures 34-38
and 42-46, where the baritone splits from the bass, I wanted to put
the baritone lyrics above the staff, so both sets of lyrics would be
close to the notes, but the dynamics push them up away from the staff.
The low notes in the alto part in measure 20 force the whole line of
lyrics too far down.  I guess I could push the stems up in the lower
part of measure 20. Would that be reasonable?

3.  I would prefer to have three systems per page.  Using only
set-global-staff-size doesn't accomplish that until the music gets
really tiny.

4.  In measure 44, there's a mysterious small dot between and a bit
above the eighth note and the half note in the baritone part (at
least, I see it in GSView).

Many thanks in advance,
David Feuer