Re: Importing PDF into Adobe Illustrator

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Importing PDF into Adobe Illustrator
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:17:23 +0100

The fonts should be embedded in the PDF files, but it's a well-known problem
that Adobe Illustrator fails to handle many aspects of PDF and PS files, even
though both PS and PDF have been defined by Adobe themselves.

One possibility might be to use ps2ps, included in the Ghostscript distribution to convert the file to a "simpler" Postscript. In spite of the name of the program, you can use both PDF and PS files as the input, but at least if you have a recent version of Ghostscript, it's probably better to start from the .ps file from LilyPond.

  /Mats

Michael David Crawford wrote:
Hi Again,

I'm still working on my CD jewel case insert.

I can now make a PDF in Lilypond that is the right size. But I tried to import it into Adobe Illustrator 10 for the Mac to position it on the printed page - otherwise it gets printed in the middle, rather than along the edge of the sheet, where I need it to match the outside of the case insert that I previously designed in Illustrator.

When I place the PDF in my Illustrator window, I get this message:

   Missing Type 1 fonts have been substituted with the default font.

And the staves are thick, solid black lines. Also where the noteheads appear outside the staves they are thickened. The overall effect is as if someone tried to draw the score with a thick felt marker.

Is the some option that will fix this? It seems to me that the score wouldn't render in other programs if the font wasn't included in the PDF. Alternatively, could I install the Lilypond fonts in Mac OS X to fix it?

Thanks for your help,

Michael David Crawford
address@hidden
http://www.geometricvisions.com/