midi output dynamics, instrument tone

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: midi output dynamics, instrument tone
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:22:59 +0000

basics - windows xp machine, Lilypond v2.6.5

I've been experimenting with getting midi outputs for my songs to help my band members (who really don't read music) get the idea.  I've been able to combine the vocal melody with a detailed accompaniment part.  I would like to have a little differentiation between the parts to make it easier to hear the parts.  Two ideas come up - change the overall dynamics of the parts relative to each other, or change the tone of one part.

I looked in the manual for v2.6 and saw the set Staff.midiInstrument command.  I tried to put it in my score block and in the variable for my melody part and all the Midi output still sounds like a grand piano no matter what instruments I choose.  Maybe the problem is I'm just listening to the midi file using Windows Media Player?

The dynamics thing is even more confusing to me - all I'd like to do is tell the midi output to play the melody at full volume and the accompaniment part at some fraction.  I don't care to have any dynamics on my printed output.  Seems like a simple thing in concept, but frankly I seem lost trying to figure any thing about dynamics.

I would appreciate any hints or tricks regarding midi dynamics and the part voicings.  Thanks!

Fit more fun into your day with Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain.   PLAY now for FREE.