Re: Space between staffs of a PianoStaff

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Space between staffs of a PianoStaff
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:01:31 +0100

Unless you have any cross-stave beams or slurs, the easiest is to just replace PianoStaff by GrandStaff. Actually, the only reason
whatsoever to use a PianoStaff is when you have such cross-stave
features. If you really want to stick to the PianoStaff, the spacing
can be set using:
\layout{
 \context{
   \PianoStaff
   \override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #8

The default distance is 12.

  /Mats

Quoting Michael David Crawford <address@hidden>:

Hi Again,

I'm trying to typeset one of my songs so it will fit on a CD case insert. I presently print one side of a piece of paper with the label, cut it to size and fold it in half to insert in the jewel case. I'd like to have the score to one of my songs printed on the side that's presently blank.

Space is at a premium, so I'm fiddling extensively with all the spacing variables I can. I'm now able to fit my song in the desired space, but only by using:

#(set-global-staff-size 11.22)

As recommended in the doc at 11.2.1 Setting the staff size.

This makes the notes very small and hard to read. However, there is a lot of unused space between the upper and lower staffs of my PianoStaff. I can't figure out how to adjust it - if I could make it smaller, I could make the staff size above larger, and the notes easier to read.

My Lilypond source is as follows.  You'll find Emergence.ly at:

http://www.geometricvisions.com/music/

I'm very much a beginner, but an enthusiastic one at finally being able to score my music. Thanks for your help!

Michael David Crawford
address@hidden

\version "2.11.18"  % necessary for upgrading to future LilyPond versions.

#(set-default-paper-size "case-insert" 'landscape)

#(set-global-staff-size 11.22)

\paper {
        line-width = #(- paper-width (* 10 mm))
        between-system-space = 10\mm