Re: Different bar lines, musica ficta & lyrics font style

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Different bar lines, musica ficta & lyrics font style
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:22:20 +0100

Marcel Korpel wrote:
Dear all,

When using Lilypond to typeset a transcription of a Palestrina Mass
the past couple of days, I stumbled upon several things which bother
me more or less:

1. Is it possible to change the bar line depending on whether the note
values exceed the measure or not? For instance, when typing

dl = \set Timing.defaultBarType = "dashed"
nl = \set Timing.defaultBarType = "|"
\new Voice \relative c'' {
   \clef G
   \time 3/1
   \set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = #'(3 . 2) % tempus perfectum
   d1 d2 c1 c2  d1 a2 c1 \dl b \nl a4 g a1 g4 a b c
[etc.]
   }

it would be nice to automatically change the bar line to dashed when
the b exceeds the measure, instead of enclosing it with macros that
change the default bar type to dashed and back.

There's no such feature available as far as I know.
2. When notating musica ficta using 'suggestAccidentals', an
accidental should be written above the bar for every altered note. At
the end of a section I wrote

\new Voice \relative c'' {
   \set suggestAccidentals = ##t
   \clef G
   \time 3/1
   \set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = #'(3 . 2)
   [...] f2 g1 fis4 e fis1
   \set Staff.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 4 1) g\longa
   \bar "|."
 }

and only above the first f an accidental is printed. I know I can
place it manually adding '^\markup{\sharp}', but I don't think that's
a good solution.
Read the section on Automatic Accidentals. I guess you want to add
  #(set-accidental-style 'forget)

3. When entering lyrics I need to italicize part of the text (to
indicate the text is my addition). But I get error messages when using

text = \lyricmode { Ky -- ri -- e e -- le -- i -- son
 \italic Ky -- ri -- _ e e -- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ le -- i -- son
 Ky -- ri -- e e -- le -- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ i -- son }

or several variations on \italic.

There are no such macros defined, but you can make them yourself:
italics = \override LyricText #'font-shape = #'italic
upright = \revert LyricText #'font-shape

 /Mats