Re: Immediate Need For Midi Output

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Immediate Need For Midi Output
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 17:28:56 +0100

Hi Jared!
I am surprised that the manual has no information written specificly for blind people. I am pretty sure that we have had other blind users (for the obvious reasons that you specify). Not able to find it in the archives though. If you would help writing a section for blind people I think that we would all appreciate it. I could also imagine that lilypond outputs way too much information when processing files. For seeing people it is easy to quickly sort out the relevant information, but I could imagine that having to hear the whole thing via a speak-processor would be rather annoying. Perhaps we should add a "silent"-option to lilypond making it only output the really important messages.

I have attached a small example that produces midi output.
I have tried to only use constructs that you will be able to hear in the midi-file. Also I have not used \transpose or \relative to make the file as easy as possible to navigate for a blind person.

I think that the manual sections on entering music should be relatively straight forwards. I hope you can use this small example as a template to experiment with.
Please ask again if you have any questions.

Regards, Rune