Re: linux

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: linux
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:37:16 +1100

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 01:56:45PM +0000, Roland wrote:
> I installed lilypond on Fedora Core 6. Well, it is there, but in no way does
> it
> show sumilar things as on my windows xp computer. How do I get it
> operational? I
> have some *.ly files, but how to make the pond work? where will the pdfs go?
>
> Thanks for advice!

In GNU/Linux you won't find any desktop icons or anything -- those are
simply there to make life easier for those used for Windows and (I
guess) Mac OSX.

If you have installed Lily properly, drop to a terminal, cd to the
directory with your .ly file (I'll call it file.ly for now) and type:

lilypond file.ly

and hit enter. Once Lilypond finishes you can use a pdf viewer to view
the finished product (which, in this case, will be in the same
directory and called file.pdf.)

Have a look at Section 13.1 in the 2.11 manual for options you can use
at the command line, most of which aren't available via the drag 'n'
drop interface.

While you're at it...

I would suggest you use a pdf viewer that supports automatic update,
like xpdf and call it with the '&':

xpdf file.pdf &

Then you can continue to edit the file and use the same terminal to
issue your lilypond command. Xpdf will automatically refresh, which
saves a lot of time when checking your work as you go.